Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Coach mom

A coworker decided to put together an office team for a huge 10-mile race we have each spring. I, of course, said I'd be on the team, and then let it slip that I used to help coach a beginning runners training group for this race. She then broadcast this salient fact to the entire office, and guess what? I'm now coaching four beginning runners! I think it's great. In addition, I'm still helping out with the other beginning runners group.

The first question most people ask (other than "Can I really run ten miles in 13 weeks?") is how I manage to find the time to run. I tell them that there is no easy answer. I wake up early (at 5:30) to go running, because I know that I *never* feel like it after work. In order to wake up that early on a regular basis, I have a couple of amazing running partners who meet me at that ridiculously early hour. I figure that if they're out there waiting for me, the least I can do is to show up.

How do you find a partner? I found mine through my local Connectors group (which has seen a serious decline in participation over the past couple of years). One of the absolute best resources for meeting up with like-minded women is See MOMMY Run, which has taken off like a lighting bolt since its inception in July 2004. Many local running clubs also have various ways for members to find training partners.

Training for the April 2 race begins January 2nd. I'll keep you all (OK, all three of you) posted on the progress of my various charges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home