Monday, November 21, 2005

Monday miscellania

* Just out of curiosity today, I googled "running blogs" to see what was out there. I don't know why I was surprised, but - wow. It will be interesting to see what is pure narcissism (like, say, this blog), and what has actual helpful content. I had to skip this morning's run because of...well, let's say female troubles...I wonder if any of the blogs have solutions fot THAT.

* The Census Bureau recently released three reports pertaining to mothers. What I find particularly interesting, 57 percent of new mothers worked full-time during their pregnancy in the late 1990s and 2000, up from 40 percent in the early 1960s. The full report draws some interesting correllations between enactment of the child care tax credit, the rise in births to women over the age of 30, and the family and medical leave act to this rise in employment levels.

* Transplanted Lawyer has an interesting play penned by A.A. Milne (of Winnie the Pooh fame). It is a parable that speaks volumes of the lengths people will go to preserve their own illusions, rather than question their beliefs - a subject with particular resonance in this day and age.

* Sars has posted another very funny screed about her cats over at Tomato Nation. Further proof that although most felines have their own personalities and idiosyncracies, there are some universal elements of cattitude.

* Wendy, over at Pound, has a great reason why the pharmacists at Target might be unwilling to dispense Plan B.

* Here's why I stay up late now on Sunday nights.

* At the end of yoga class today, the instructor asked us to focus on something or someone that we are particularly thankful for. Answering "my family" was a reflex, but later on I began to think about why. The ultimate reason is that my husband and daughter have taught me just how endless the human heart can be.

And on that sappy note, good night to you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home