Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Benign neglect

Yeah. It has been a while. Work has been busy, Blogger has been having technical difficulties, and other volunteer commitments are all asking for their pound of flesh. In other words, just another month of being a mom.

I've been wondering about the different roles that mothers carve out for themselves. I think that I've had this monolithic image of what a "mom" is and I think that so much of what I've been doing over the past 2+ years has been rebelling against that very image. In much the same way that I have come to the realization that (*gasp*) my mother had a life before me and had a life outside of me, I also have realized that there are many different types of mothers and ways of mothering.

The trick is to do what makes me and DOM and Mr. MOM happy. The rest, be damned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home