Monday, January 31, 2005

Not that it will amount to anything

Just had to share with you the comment I sent to Education Secretary Margaret Stallings regarding the "Postcards from Buster" issue. I wonder what kind of response I will receive:

I have been following, with great concern, the recent flap over the Vermont episode of PBS's Postcards from Buster that the Secretary decided to weigh in on. As the parent of a 2-1/2-year-old girl who occasionally watches the show, I am not worried about the questions she will ask if she were to see a "two mom" family, but rather what I see as a growing trend of institutionalized discrimination against a certain subgroup of Americans who some "values oriented" segments of society deem shameful, or as second-class citizens.

Most preschoolers that I know wouldn't even think to ask why a child has two moms or two dads, any more than they would ask why there is only one parent (how to explain divorce?), or why the child is being raised by their grandparents (how to explain death?), or by foster parents (how to explain child protective services?). In most cases, a simple answer of "there are many kinds of families in this world, and in some there are two mommies, just like you have a mommy and a daddy." No need for discussion of sexual orientation, no need to get in to the details. Chances are, when they ask, they're not so interested in the reproductive aspect of the family, but rather in the emotional aspect.

I welcome the opportunity to have my child learn about the rich fabric of diverse families that make up our nation. I think it is the least we can do to raise children that not only tolerate, but embrace the most important part of being an American -- the freedom to be yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home