Monday, February 14, 2005

Productivity, my a**

It is a cold, rainy day here, the kind of day that makes you want to curl up at home with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book. However, it being a Monday, it is supposed to be a day of hard and industrious work. This morning, after a night featuring a stunning five wake up calls from my darling DOM (something that we - thankfully - rarely have to deal with any more), I decided to compromise and work from home today.

On the surface, it seemed like a good idea. I wouldn't have to go out into the rain and cold, I could edit a whole bunch of articles that have come in over the past couple of weeks without constant interruptions by a barrage of phone calls from over-caffienated PR reps, and I could work in clothes that make my old pajamas look stylish. (Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, honey.)

The good news is that I haven't had to go out into the cold ick except to check the mailbox. The bad news is that when you are sitting on the couch, editing a rather long and dry article after a much-interrupted night's sleep, chances are that you will take an unplanned nap. Now I am sitting at my dining room table, separated from my pile of half-edited articles and my 24-ounce bottle of diet coke by one floor and 14 pounds of immovable sleeping cat on my lap. Any attempt to shift into a position that actually resembles something comfortable (or get my papers or answer the telephone) results in a series of hostile stares, frenetic clawing, and an implied threat that my new pashmina scarf will become a chew toy.

I'm still getting more done here than in the office.

2 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Ah, yes---the tug of war between work and the couch. When working at home, I find it hard to resist the latter. Especially when editing something long and boring!

I found your blog through Half Changed World (it's one of my favorites, too). It's always nice to discover another editor!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger amadie said...

An occupational hazard, really. :-) Glad you found me and thank you for your comment...and I will have to head on over to your blog to check out the musings of another editor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home